We did not concession any refinery to Oando and Agip- Kachikwu

We did not concession any refinery to Oando and Agip- Kachikwu

The minister of state for Petroleum, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu on Thursday said that Nigeria needs about $1.2bn to repair the three refineries owned by the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC and that Government is yet to concession any of the refineries to any group.

The Minister spoke at a news conference in Abuja.

According to him, the report making the rounds in the media that the federal government has concessioned the Port Harcourt refineries to Oando and Agip are untrue as the technical committee set up by the government to oversee the review and selection process is yet to submit its report.

He said, “We have not selected any firm yet even though some firms have shown interests.”

“We need about 1.2 billion dollars to repair and bring the three refineries of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in Port Harcourt, Warri, and Kaduna, up to 100 percent production level.”

Kachikwu added that the cost of the project had been determined in terms of the extent of work required.

“The total cumulative amount is in the 1.1 billion dollars and 1.2 billion dollars category between all the refineries. And that, of course, does not include the pipelines,” he said.

“You have got to address the pipelines and that is something else that is being done.”

Kachikwu informed the gathering the country spent about N4.74 trillion on the importation of petrol in the past year which was 30 percent of the total foreign exchange outlay of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

“The importation of petroleum products between January and December of last year amounted to about 20 million metric tonnes,” he added.

“A total amount of N3.4 trillion was spent, the consumption of FX from CBN was approximately 30 percent of CBN total FX outlay, and the logistic costs of that importation was about N1.34 trillion within the same one-year period.”

 

Facebook Comments

Leave a Comment