Amnesty International on Thursday said that thousands of women and girls who survived Boko Haram violence in the north-east are being sexually abused by the Nigerian security forces, and many others starving to death.
The report released in Abuja, showed how women, young girls, and children were “raped and starved to death” by soldiers in various internally displaced persons (IDPs) camps.
According to the report, women were separated from their husbands and confined in “satellite camps” where they have been sexually exploited, sometimes in exchange for food.
Osai Ojigho, Amnesty International country director in Nigeria, said the organisation also collected evidence of how “thousands of people have starved to death” in the IDPs camps in Borno state since 2015.
She said, “It is absolutely shocking that people who had already suffered so much under Boko Haram have been condemned to further horrendous abuse by the Nigerian military.”
“Instead of receiving protection from the authorities, women and girls have been forced to succumb to rape in order to avoid starvation or hunger.”
The abuse, she said sometimes, “appears to be part of a pattern of persecution” of anyone perceived to have a connection to Boko Haram as the female victims are usually called “Boko Haram wives”.
“Scores of women described how soldiers and civilian JTF members have used force and threats to rape women in satellite camps, including by taking advantage of hunger to coerce women to become their ‘girlfriends’, which involved being available for sex on an ongoing basis,” the report said.
One of the women identified as Ama (not her real name), who is 20-year-old, was quoted as saying: “They will give you food but they will come back around 5 pm or 6 pm and they will tell you to come with them… One [civilian JTF] man came and brought food to me.
“The next day he said I should take water from his place [and I went]. He then closed the tent door behind me and raped me. He said I gave you these things, if you want them we have to be husband and wife.”
The report also said that people confined in IDP camps faced an “acute food shortage” from early 2015 until mid-2016, when humanitarian assistance was increased. “At least hundreds, and possibly thousands, died in Bama Hospital camp alone during this time. Those interviewed consistently reported that 15 to 30 people died each day from hunger and sickness during these months, the report added.
“Satellite images, showing how the graveyard inside the camp expanded quickly during this time, confirm their testimonies. There were also daily deaths in other satellite camps such as those in Banki and Dikwa communities.”