Chidi Samuel || President Muhammadu Buhari has asked APC governors who met with him behind closed doors at Aso Rock on Thursday to give him more time to decide whether to re-contest for the Presidency in the 2019 Presidential election.
Imo State governor and chairman of the APC governors forum, Rochas Okorocha, said as much in a brief chat with newsmen at the end of their meeting with the President.
Okorocha who confirmed that they were in the Villa to ask Mr. Buhari to seek a second term in office, however, said the President will address the nation soon on the matter.
He said, “We discussed so many issues that affect the nation, our party and Mr. President’s ambition to run for 2019 elections.”
“It is the desire of the governors that Mr. President should run for this exalted office given his performance in the last two years. We believe that if he continues Nigeria will be better for it.”
He also said Mr. Buhari “in his usual manner” has requested that the governors “give him time and that he will address the nation and the caucus of the party very soon”
“So we should be full of expectations that Mr. President will make officially known to Nigerians his intentions but we hope that his response will be in line with what the governors are thinking,” he said.
Kaduna State governor, Nasir el Rufai along with other APC governors have been putting pressure on President Buhari to seek re-election.
They met with him last week in his home town, Daura, on the same issue.
However, former President Olusegun Obasanjo in a widely circulated letter earlier this month called on the President to ‘dismantle the horse’ and not seek reelection.

