The Christian Association of Nigeria [CAN] has confirmed that 215 pupils and twelve staff members were kidnapped by gunmen from a Catholic school in Niger state, north central Nigeria on Friday.
Friday’s abduction was the second mass school kidnapping this week following the earlier incident at a girl’s secondary school in Kebbi.
The latest attack targeted St Mary’s School in Papiri, Niger state, where authorities had already ordered the temporary closure of all boarding schools due to rising security threats.
Nigeria has faced a renewed wave of attacks by armed groups in recent days, including the kidnapping on Monday of more than 20 schoolgirl from a boarding school in neighbouring Kebbi state.
A church was also attacked further south, in Kwara state, with two people killed and 38 abducted while the service was being broadcast online.
President Bola Tinubu has postponed his foreign trips – including this weekend’s G20 summit in South Africa – in order to address these security issues.
Police said armed men – locally known as bandits – stormed St Mary’s School early on Friday morning and abducted students from their hostel.
Fear and uncertainty have gripped the area as families wait for news.
“Everybody is weak… it took everybody by surprise,” local resident Dominic Adamu told the BBC.
Mr Adamu, whose daughters attend St Mary’s School but were not abducted, added: “People are complaining about the state of security in our country.”
One distressed woman tearfully told the BBC that her nieces, aged six and 13 were kidnapped.
“I just want them to come home,” she said.
The authorities in Niger state said the school, attended by both girls and boys, had disregarded an order to close all boarding facilities following intelligence warnings of a heightened risk of attacks.
“Regrettably, St Mary’s School proceeded to reopen and resume academic activities without notifying or seeking clearance from the state government, thereby exposing pupils and the staff to avoidable risk,” they said in a statement.
The school has not commented on that claim.
The police said that security agencies were “combing the forests with a view to rescue the abducted students”.
The attack follows claims by US President Donald Trump that Christians are being persecuted in Nigeria, an allegation dismissed by the Nigerian government.
Earlier this month, Trump said he would send troops into Nigeria “guns a-blazing” if its government “continues to allow the killing of Christians”.
And on Thursday, in a meeting with Nigeria’s national security advisor, US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth called on Nigeria to take “urgent and enduring action to stop violence against Christians”, a statement from the Pentagon said.
Hegseth also conveyed the US’ will to “work by, with, and through Nigeria to deter and degrade terrorists that threaten the United States”.
The Nigerian government denies that Christians are being persecuted, saying that is “a gross misrepresentation of reality”.


Leave a Reply