50-60% of the 979 unexplained deaths in Kano caused by COVID-19- Ehanire

By our reporter| Nigeria’s health minister, Osagie Ehanire, has confirmed that 50-60 percent of the strange deaths recorded in Kano state last month may have been caused by coronavirus.

Ehanire who made the disclosure on Monday at the COVID-19 Task Force briefing in Abuja, said the verbal autopsy report from the state suggested that a significant number of deaths recorded was also triggered by inability to access routine care as a result of the fear of COVID-19.

According to the minister, the team set up to probe the strange deaths confirmed that, a total of 979 persons died in eight local government areas of the state, 43 per day.

Ehanire said, “This morning the federal ministry of health received the report of the ministerial task force team that went to support the Kano government in the COVID-19 response with commodity, ambulances, trainings.”

See also  Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, deputy

“The visit turned out to be a game changer and improved the indices for Kano.

“Many of the health workers, over 50 have been infected at the time of the arrival of the team but after they conducted their training on infection, prevention and control, there was no report of infection among the health workers who have received training.

“With regard to the unexplained deaths that occured in Kano, the team confirmed that a total of 979 deaths were recorded in eight municipal local areas of the state at the rate of 43 deaths per day.

“By the end of April the number has started to reduce and have now settled to 11 deaths per day.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

“The verbal autopsy revealed that 56 percent of the deaths had occurred at home while 38 were in the hospital.

“The investigation suggests that 50-60 may have been triggered by COVID-19 in the face of pre existing illness, a significant part was also triggered by inability to access routine care at the time due to the scare of COVID-19. Most of the fatalities were over 65 years old.”

Leave a Reply