Nigeria, US sign agreement on return of $300m Abacha, Alamieyeseigha’s loot

Nigeria has signed an agreement with the United State of America detailing the process for the repatriation of more than $300m looted by Sani Abacha, Nigeria’s former military leader and the late former governor of oil rich Bayelsa Stae, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha.

Abubakar Malami, Nigeria’s Attorney-General and Minister of Justice signed the agreement on behalf of the country.

Malami made the disclosure in a speech he delivered at the Chatham House, the United Kingdom on Thursday titled: Nigeria’s Anti-Corruption Effort: Working with the Media, Civil Society and International Partners’.

According to Malami, the US government had taken custody of the money, including the one stashed in the United Kingdom, France and Jersey after a forfeiture order made by American courts.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

He said of the $300m, the sums of $1.6m and £21.7m were in the UK, $145m was stashed in France, and $299m in Jersey.

It will be recalled that Nigeria earlier in the week announced the signing of a tripartite agreement with the Swiss government and World Bank for the return of the sum of $321m looted by Abacha family from Switzerland.