Ebun Francis || Senate President, Bukola Saraki on Tuesday said that the court of appeal decision dismissing most of the charges levelled against him by the federal government has vindicated him.
The appellate court had in a 70-page unanimous judgment, read by Tinuade Akomolafe-Wilson held that there was no evidence to substantiate 15 out of the 18 counts as valid charges.
The Judge, however, said the prosecution established a strong case against Saraki on counts 4,5 and 6 bothering on the purchase of house 17 A and B at McDonald Street, Ikoyi Lagos.
She, therefore, ruled that Saraki should return to the Code of Conduct Tribunal for a continuation of his trial, which the tribunal dismissed in June.
Reacting to the judgment, the Senate President in a statement by Yusuph Olaniyonu, his spokesman, said the squashing of 15 out of the 18 charges showed that he had been vindicated.
The statement read, “We believe that upholding the no-case submission by Dr. Saraki with regards to 15 of the 18 counts charges vindicates the innocence of the Senate President. At least, today’s judgment has confirmed the position of the tribunal that the prosecution’s case was entirely based on hearsay, not on any concrete evidence.”
“The verdict of the Court of Appeal, just like that of the tribunal before it, aligned with our position that the preposterous claims made during trial by the prosecution concerning operation of foreign accounts, making anticipatory declarations, collecting double salaries, owning assets beyond his income and failure to declare assets owned by companies in which the Senate President owns interests, among others, have fallen like a pack of cards and lack any basis.”
On the three count charges, Saraki said his lawyers would review the judgement once the certified true copies are ready.
“On the remaining three counts, which really touch on two issues, referred back to the tribunal for the Senate President’s defence, it should be noted that the appellate court only gave a summary of its decision today, promising to provide the parties with Certified True Copies of the judgment soon,” he said.
“As soon as it makes the details of the judgement available, our lawyers will review the grounds of the decision and take appropriate action.
“We remain convinced about the innocence of the senate president on the three or two counts because we believe the decision of the Court of Appeal is not consistent with the submissions made by both parties at the tribunal. Thus, it is our view that that aspect of the judgment will not stand.
“The confidence and faith of Dr. Saraki in the nation’s judiciary and its ability to dispense justice to all manners of people remains unshaken.”
The code of conduct tribunal had earlier in the year dismissed all 18-count allegations of false and anticipatory declaration of asset by Mr. Saraki.
The Nigerian government appealed the acquittal of the Senate President by the CCT.

