Chidi Samuel|
Following the reappearance of Nnamdi Kanu months after he was rumoured to have been killed by the federal government, the presidency on Tuesday said that the truth has been revealed about the whereabouts of the Biafran separatist leader.
The controversial leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB), vanished from circulation last year after clashes between his supporters and soldiers.
Many Nigerians believed that he may have been killed in the clash with soldiers at is Afara Ukwu home in Umuahia, Abia State.
But in an interview with BBC Hausa service, President Muhammadu Buhari’s media ade, Garba Shehu, said that the Nigerian government was put under pressure on false accusations of killing Kanu.
Shehu said, “If it happens to be true, the video footage showing Mr. Nnamdi Kanu; the truth has been revealed about his alleged assassination against Nigerian government.”
“This fairy tale went up to United Nations General Assembly where some IPOB members staged a protest accusing Nigeria government of kidnapping and even killing of Mr. Kanu.”
When asked what will happen if Mr. Kanu eventually returns to Nigeria, Mr. Shehu said his trial would be expected to continue.
Kanu appeared in a video last Friday; with his lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, saying he had since spoken to his client who apparently escaped out of Nigeria. Although the video showed him in Israel, the Israeli government has said Mr. Kanu had not entered the country recently and the video could be an old one.
The IPOB leader later did a broadcast on Sunday from his hideout on the groups Facebook page.
“I have returned full-time and I’m coming back home I will bring hell with me.”
He also insisted on his group’s demand for a referendum for Igbos to determine if they want to be part of Nigeria or want a separate Biafra country.

