Ebun Francis|
The federal government will take a final decision on a new minimum wage on Monday, Chris Ngige, Nigeria’s labour minister has said.
The minister stated this on Friday in a chat with newsmen after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential villa in Abuja.
According to Ngige, an “enlarged meeting of all key stakeholders” in the government circle at both federal and state level had been scheduled for Monday.
A decision would be taken at the end of the meeting and a draft law would be transmitted to the national assembly on the new national minimum wage law, Ngige said.
The Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) who has been negotiating with the federal government for an increase in the minimum wage for workers earlier in the week threatened to embark on a nationwide strike from November 6, if the minimum wage is not reviewed to N30,000 from the current N18,000.
The federal government last week threatened to invoke a policy of “no work no pay” if labour goes ahead with its planned strike action, a development that did not go down well with organised labour.

