Chidi Samuel
The Nigerian government on Monday reached an agreement with striking university lecturers.
The development is expected to bring to an end the teachers’ industrial action which has entered its third month.
After the meeting on Monday, the minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige, announced that an agreement had been reached between the government and the striking teachers.
According to him, the accountant general and the ministry of finance have confirmed with evidence that N15.4 billion had been released to cover funding in public universities.
On earned allowances, the minister said President Buhari has approved N20 billion to be used to offset the outstanding arrears of the 2009 to 2012 audit verified earnings in the universities.
He said the earned allowances will be released to ASUU as soon as the process is completed.
Bioudun Ogunyemi, the national president of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, Biodun Ogunyemi, on his part, said the National Executive Committee of the union will review its decisions based on the new commitment by the federal government.
According to him, the strike could only be called off or not after the NEC meeting.
The lecturers embarked on an indefinite strike on November 4 to demand improved funding of universities and implementation of previous agreements with the government.

