Chidi Samuel|
President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday suspended Walter Onnoghen as chief justice of Nigeria (CJN).
Ibrahim Tanko Mohammed, from Bauchi state, has been sworn in as the new CJN.
He said the suspension was based on the order of Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) on January 23, 2019.
Justice Mohammed was driven into the forecourt of the president’s office at about 4:30 p.m. in a black Mercedes Benz C240 with number plate GWA:900FA.
The suspension of Justice Onnoghen has sparked intense discussions among Nigerians with some commentators saying the country may have a constitutional crisis on its hands.
Earlier on Friday, Onnoghen announced a plan to swear in members of the various 2019 election petition tribunals on Saturday, January 26.
Awasam Bassey, his media assistant, in a statement described as absolute falsehood, the media reports that he resigned his office, following current allegations against him.
The statement urged Nigerians to disregard the rumour, insisting that he was still performing his role as CJN.
“There’s absolutely no truth in the rumours making the round that the Hon. Chief Justice of Nigeria, His Lordship Hon. Mr Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, GCON, has resigned his office. It is fake news!
“The Hon CJN was in the office all through yesterday (Thursday) and sat in court. As part of his duties, the Hon CJN will be swearing in members of the 2019 National Assembly, Governorship & State Assembly Election Petition Tribunals tomorrow (Saturday 26th January 2019),” the statement said.
The former CJN is facing trial over alleged false asset declaration brought against him by the Code of Conduct Bureau.

