INEC suspends announcement of results in Akpabio’s Senatorial district

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Sunday suspended the announcement of results in Akwa Ibom North-West District, where Godswill Akpabio contested for re-election.

An INEC official in the state confirmed to some select journalists, that Akpabio’s challenger, Chris Ekpenyong of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), was leading in the results announced so far before the commission took a decision to suspend further announcement.

“We are having some issues with the election in Essien Udim Local Government Area,” said the official who did not want his name mentioned because he was not authorised to speak on the matter.

“If we accept the results from the local government area, Akpabio’s votes will overshoot that of Chris Ekpenyong.

See also  ‘Death warrant on credible elections’ - ADC slams Tinubu for signing electoral amendment bill

“There are issues in the results which we are yet to be resolved,” he said.

Essien Udim, where Mr Akpabio comes from, is said to be one of the local government areas with a large voter’s population in the state.

The All Progressives Congress (APC), had before the commencement of the elections, accused the Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Akwa Ibom, Mike Igini, of being partisan in favour of the PDP.

The party had called for Mr Igini’s re-deployment from the state.

Leave a Reply