Pope rejects resignation of French cardinal in sex abuse cover-up

Pope Francis has rejected the resignation of French Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, who was handed a six-month suspended sentence for failing to report sex abuse by a priest under his authority, the cardinal said on Tuesday.

“Monday morning, I handed over my mission to the Holy Father. He spoke of the presumption of innocence and did not accept this resignation,” Barbarin, who has appealed his sentence, said in a statement from his see in the southeastern city of Lyon.

The 68-year-old is the most senior French cleric caught up in the global paedophilia scandal that has rocked the Catholic Church.

On March 7 a Lyon court ruled that Barbarin, a cardinal since 2003, was guilty of failing to report allegations of abuse of boy scouts committed by a priest, Bernard Preynat, in the 1980s and 1990s.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

After the ruling, Barbarin said he would go to Rome to tender his resignation.

The pope had previously defended the cardinal, saying in 2016 that his resignation before a trial would be “an error, imprudent”.

Barbarin’s lawyer has announced plans to fight the guilty ruling, which was hailed by abuse victims as ushering in a new period of accountability in the French Church.

The case came as the pope seeks to restore faith in the Church following a slew of abuse scandals that have spanned the globe, from Australia to Chile and the United States.

Less than a week after Barbarin’s conviction the Vatican’s former number three, Australian Cardinal George Pell, was sentenced to six years in prison by a Melbourne court for the “brazen” sexual abuse of two choirboys.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

(AFP)

 

 

 

Leave a Reply