Gombe will go ahead with Ruga initiative, says Gov Yahaya

Gombe state governor, Inuwa Yahaya, on Friday said his state will go ahead with the implementation of the Ruga initiative.

The Ruga initiative proposed by the federal as a means of resolving the lingering farmers and herdermen clashes was suspending earlier in the week following massive protest against the scheme.

Yahaya who spoke to newsmen shortly after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, disclosed that Gombe has over 200,000 hectares of land reserved for the scheme and suspending it could be inimical to his people.

He said, “President Buhari’s intention on the Ruga settlement scheme is laudable and the people of Gombe, who are predominantly Fulanis will definitely key into it.”

“As I speak to you now, Gombe state government has set aside over 200,000 hectare of land for the implementation of the Ruga Settlement scheme in the state.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

“So, because some states rejected the scheme doesn’t mean that Gombe state will not go ahead to implement it.

“Up till now, I don’t want to believe that the pilot scheme has been suspended. We are going to continue with it, because to us it’s a very good initiative in view of the hardship our people (herdsmen) are now facing.

“We need to find a lasting solution to their predicaments so as to save their lives because they are Nigerians too.

“So, I don’t want to believe that the president has suspended the scheme – this is worrisome and may be inimical to our people.’’

Leave a Reply