By our reporter| All the 39 persons who had contact with the Italian who tested positive to coronavirus have been quarantined, including the driver who brought him to Ewekoro from Lagos, Segun Soyoye, industrial director of Larfarge Africa Plc has confirmed.
Addressing reporters after an assessment visit to the company’s premises by a combined delegation of the state government, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO), Soyoye said the guest house where the Italian stayed and the vehicles including the ambulance used to convey him had been sealed off.
According to him, the Italian was at the factory to inspect some installed machines brought from a Swedish firm, adding that the visitor did not go beyond the company’s guest house at “Ishofin Estate” and he was evacuated as soon as he developed abnormal temperature indicative of coronavirus.
Soyoye said, “The contacts are now 39 and we have quarantined them, the house and clinic as well as the vehicles. We don’t take chances. That is why they are put there.”
“Today is Day 3. They will be there for 14 days. We will continue to observe them, we have their database, showing their biodata and other information.
“The doctor is here and what he is doing is to check them on a regular basis. So far everybody is stable. They are not symptomatic. We are providing everything for them over there.
“The other thing that I have not said is that the clinic that was used for the infected person is closed; disinfected and we moved everybody out.
“All the guys on duty that day, they were also quarantined. So they will be there for 14 days as well.”
Meanwhile, five foreigners have been placed under observation in Cross River state over coronavirus.
The state’s commissioner for health, Beta Edu who disclosed this on Saturday, said two of the foreigners are from Europe, one from India, and two from China.
According to her, none of them has shown any symptoms so far, adding that health officials have been deployed in entry points to the state as a precaution.
“We profiled five foreigners who came in from locations that have recorded the virus and they came in through Lagos that morning (Friday),” the commissioner said.
“We got their biodata and asked them to self-isolate. And of course, we gave them the thermometer and got their contacts. We have been following up with them.
“None of them has shown any symptoms so far. Two of the foreigners are from Europe, one from India and two from China. Our isolation centre is ready and protocols have been sent to all health workers.
“Special protective equipment has been sent to all health workers, the army, paramilitary agencies and private practitioners across the state.”
The first case of coronavirus was recorded in Nigeria on Friday after an Italian who came into the country from Milan, Italy, on February 25 tasted positive.


Leave a Reply