The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) says over 50 buildings were destroyed in the explosion that rocked Abule Ado in Amuwo Odofin local government area of Lagos on Sunday morning.
Ibrahim Farinloye, acting coordinator of the Lagos territorial office of NEMA, disclosed this in an interview with NAN.
Farinloye said the cause of the incident and casualty figure were currently unknown as “rescue operations are still going on in the affected area”.
He said the resulting fire, from the explosion, later spread to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) oil pipeline passing through the area, although though the pipeline had been shut down as a precautionary measure.
According to him, a combined team of the Lagos State Fire Service, Federal Fire Service, and the Nigerian Navy Fire Tender are currently battling to put out the inferno.
The explosion caused panic among Lagos residents after it shook many houses in Ijegun, Festac Town and other communities outside Amuwo Odofin.
Meanwhile, not less than 20 students of Bethlehem Girls High School are believed to be trapped in their dormitory following an explosion.
A resident told reporters that some of the girls have been taken to the hospital while officials are still trying to get others out.
“It’s been difficult getting the students and teachers out,” the resident said.
Another resident who made a video from the scene said the area has just one exit, and people are still trapped in the affected buildings.
He said, “Lives have been lost, properties including houses and cars. When we heard the explosion this morning, it was as if aeroplane fell on our building.”
The chairman of Amuwo Odofin local government area (LGA), Valentine Braimoh, disclosed that about three schools were affected.
He said, “Churches were also affected. We have been able to rescue some but more are still trapped in the buildings.”
“We have called LASEMA and they are on their way, but our men are still on ground trying to rescue as many as they can.”
With NAN report


Leave a Reply