FCTA: We will ensure subsequent burials are done according to NCDC guidelines

Yusuf Bello| The federal capital territory administration (FCTA) on Saturday said those who were not properly kitted at the burial of Abba Kyari, the late chief of staff to the president, will be tested for COVID-19.

The FCTA further assured the subsequent burials will be carried out according to Nigeria’s health agency guidelines.

The move followed the outrage and criticisms that has trailed the burial of the late chief of staff to the president at a private cemetary in Abuja where people mingled freely without regard to the social distancing guidelines of the NCDC.

Reacting to the development, Mohammed Kawu, acting secretary, health and human services secretariat at the FCTA, said those in question have all been identified and are in self-isolation.

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

The FCTA also assured it will ensure subsequent burials are done according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) guidelines.

Kawu further revealed that the personal protective equipment (PPE) removed by one of those involved in the burial had been properly disposed off and the cemetery decontaminated.

He said, “In addition, all the individuals including the man in question that participated in the burial and were not properly kitted have been identified and are being isolated.”

“Necessary tests will conducted on all of them to determine their level of exposure and ensure that they do not infect other people.”

The FCTA assured residents it will “continue to do all that is necessary” to curtail and end the spread of the coronavirus in the city.

Leave a Reply