At last, Kano admits ‘strange deaths’, says situation serious

Yusuf Bello| The Kano government on Sunday admitted there is an increase in death rate in the state, and has described the situation as serious.

The government of governor Abdullahi Ganduje, had earlier said reports of multiple deaths were blown out of proportion.

Acknowleding the seriousness of the situation in a statement, the commissioner for information, Muhammad Garba, said the government is working towards keeping residents safe.

The commissioner who said the government is concerned over what is happening, assured when the medical investigation is through, “further necessary actions will be taken”.

According to Garba, the state government has been commended from within and outside the state over the proactive measures it took check the spread of COVID-19.

The commissioner said, “This explains why Kano, apart from being the most populous state, did not record a case of the pandemic until lately. Though we agree that the situation on hand currently is serious, we are not resting on our oars in taking appropriate measures to ensure that the good people of Kano state, and indeed, residents in the state protect themselves from the novel COVID-19 pandemic.”

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

“Moreso, the state government has three modern isolation centres where those tested positive to COVID-19 are being cared for. We are also hopeful of getting additional two isolation soonest. The government has also hired a hotel where suspected cases are accommodated.

“Also, Kano state government is collaborating with​ Bayero University Kano (BUK) to establish a testing centre within the institution, which will be ready in two weeks time after being certified by the NCDC. This will, indeed, enhance our determination to ensure that every suspected case undergo test.

“Governor Ganduje has also sent a passionate appeal to the Federal Government to urgently work on the NCDC testing centre at AKTH which has been closed down for sometime now.

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

“We have enough medical manpower that can take care of the patients. What we are now asking for is financial assistance from the Federal Government and other donors to help sustain all this infrastructure and also continue the provision of palliatives to our people.”

Kano has in recent days recorded a rising number of unexplained deaths that that has alarmed residents. About twelve prominent individuals died in the city over the weekend alongside many others.

Leave a Reply