Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases exceeds 3000, as 14 more health worker in Kano, Lawmaker tests positive

Chidi Samuel| Nigeria’s coronavirus infections pushed past the three thousand mark on Wednesday night as the Nigeria Centre For Disease Control confirmed 195 new cases across the country.

The country’s toll now stands at 3145 infections.

Lagos, the epicentre of the outbreak recorded 82 new cases while Kano an emerging hot spot with rising number of deaths in recent weeks recorded 35 new infections.

Zamfara, Sokoto, Bornu recorded 19, 18 and 10 cases respectively.

The other infections occured in FCT 9, Oyo 8, Kebbi 5, Gombr 5, Ogun 4, Katsina 3, Kaduna 1 and Adamawa 1.

According a Tweet by the health agency, Nigeria so far has 3145 confirmed cases of the highly contagiuos disease, with 103 deaths and 534 discharges.

The tweet read, ”195 new cases of #COVID19;

82-Lagos
30-Kano
19-Zamfara
18-Sokoto
10-Borno
9-FCT
8-Oyo
5-Kebbi
5-Gombe
4-Ogun
3-Katsina
1-Kaduna
1-Adamawa

”3145 confirmed cases of #COVID19 in Nigeria.”
Discharged: 534
Deaths: 103

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

-Fourteen more health workers in Kano tests positive for COVID-19

Meanwhile, fourteen more health workers in Kano state have tested positive for the ravaging and highly contagious coronavirus.

The development brings to 48 the total number of health workers infected with the deraded virus.

The Chairman of the Kano state chapter of the Joint Health Workers Union, Murtala Isa Umar, made the disclosure in an interview with Channels Television on Wednesday evening.

According to him, of the 14, seven are nurses and five medical laboratory scientists.

One medical record officer and cleaner also tested positive for the virus.

Mr. Umar said 168 health workers had been exposed to the virus at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital.

Kano state currently has 427 confirmed cases of COVID-19, according to the state government.

-Yobe lawmaker tests positive to COVID-19

Also on Monday, the member representing Nguru central constituency at the Yobe house of assembly, Lawan Nguru, tested positive for COVID-19.

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers
-Nguru

In a statement on Wednesday, the lone member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) at the assembly, said he had gone on isolation and expressed optimism of a quik recovery from the disease.

Nguru said, “Presently, I am in isolation centre and recuperating in a very stable condition waiting for further directives from Health officers. In addition, I salute the gesture shown to us by Yobe State Government in up keeping the victims and in controlling the spread of the virus in the state.”

Yobe currently has 13 confirmed cases of coronavirus and the state governor, Mai Buni, has made wearing of face masks compulsory in public to curb the spread of the disease.

He also banned inter-state travels for two weeks amongst other measures.

Leave a Reply