Presidency says Nothern Elders Forum “a mere irritant” following groups criticism of Buhari over rising insecurity in the north

Yusuf bello| The presidency on Sunday night described the Northern Elders Forum led by Ango Abdullahi as “a mere irritant”.

Presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina made the assertion while reacting to the group’s criticism of President Muhammadu Buhari over the rising insecurity in the north.

According to Adesina, the group is a “one-man army” which is driven by political interests and its dislike for the president.

The statement read in part, “We are not surprised by this latest statement by Prof. Abdullahi, and our past position on what his group represents remains unchanged: a mere irritant and featherweight.”

“The former vice chancellor signed the statement under the banner of Northern Elders Forum (NEF). Hearing that title, you would think the body was a conglomeration of true elders. But the truth is that NEF is just Ango Abdullahi, and Ango Abdullahi is NEF.

“It is a quasi-organization that boasts of no credible membership, and its leader is akin to a General without troops.”

The presidential spokesman added that the “one-man army called NEF” had shown its “antipathy” against Buhari before the 2019 presidential election, but was “beaten together” with its preferred candidate.

See also  US mission celebrates Nigerian American Dr Wendy Okolo @NASA

“NEF is merely waving a flag that is at half-mast. President Buhari steadily and steadfastly focuses on the task of retooling Nigeria, and discerning Nigerians know the true state of the nation. They don’t need a paper tiger to tell them anything,” he said.

The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) has earlier in a statement on Sunday, lamented over the high rate of insecurity in the north, accusing President Muhammadu Buhari of failing to tackle the situation.

According Ango Abdullahi, convener of the forum, the situation is getting worse by the day as the constant attacks by bandits and Boko Haram insurgents are indications that the Buhari administration “has failed woefully” in terms of security and welfare of citizens.

The statement read, “Northern Elders Forum (NEF) is alarmed at the rising insecurity of communities and their properties in the North. Recent escalation of attacks by bandits, rustlers and insurgents leave the only conclusion that the people of the North are now completely at the mercy of armed gangs who roam towns and villages at will, wreaking havoc.”

“It would appear that the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari and governors have lost control over the imperatives of protecting people of the North, a constitutional duty that they swore to uphold.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

“The situation is getting worse literally by the day as bandits and insurgents appear to sense a huge vacuum in political will and capacity which they exploit with disastrous consequences on communities and individuals.”

Abdullahi said the north has never experienced this level of insecurity, accusing Buhari of issuing threats and promises that have no effect.

“As a responsible body, the forum has joined millions of others in prayers and in giving advice and encouragement to all authorities that have responsibility to protect our communities,” he said.

“It is now time to say, enough is enough. Our people are known for their patience and respect for constituted authorities, but all governments must be aware by now that all Northerners have been pushed to the wall.
“The forum is aware that some citizens are contemplating peaceful protests, which are their constitutional rights, to draw attention of President Buhari and all levels of authority to the plight of people of the North.

Leave a Reply