By our reporter| President Muhammadu Buhari has approved additional N8.9bn for COVID-19 hazard allowance to all medical health workers.
This follows the industrial action embarked on by resident doctors and other health workers union in the country.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) and Chairman, Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, said this on Thursday in Abuja at the 64th joint national briefing of the task force.
He noted that, over the past one week, a lot discussions in the public space has happened around the strike action by doctors and threats by other unions in the health sector.
According to him, while appreciable progress had been made in the negotiations to resolve the issues, it must be understood that the nation is in a global public health emergency situation that has impacted negatively on all aspects of lives, including the economy and finances of government.
“This has made it imperative for all citizens irrespective of their professions and particularly health workers to re-awaken their sense of humanity and patriotism.
“The health and survival of our dear nation is important and we should eschew any action that will diminish the gains made in the containment of the pandemic so far.
“I am pleased to announce that Mr. President has graciously approved additional N8.9bn for COVID-19 hazard allowance to all medical health workers.
“In addition, the procurement of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for hospitals and isolation centres will be given priority,” Mustapha said.


Leave a Reply