#EndSars protesters shut down Nigeria

By our reporters| The #EndSars protesters on Monday literarily brought the country to its knees as they blocked major highways and innercity roads across the country preventing workers and business owners from going to work.

Many spots in Abuja, Kaduna, Owerri, Benin and other state capitals were shut down by protesters who in some places brought down telephone poles to block the road and in some areas, they played football on the road.

In Lagos, the over 25,000 public servants were denied access to their offices in Alausa, as protesters blocked off major roads to the Lagos State Secretariat.

Also workers were unable to get to their offices as major roads were blocked by the protesters.

Governor Sanwo-Olu, who inaugurated the panel of inquiry and restitution set up to investigate cases of brutality and human rights violations committed by operatives of the dissolved Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Lagos on Monday, expressed worry over the blockage of roads and offices, barring workers from gaining access to their workplaces and making it difficult for business operators to access their business premises.

The governor reminded the protesters that whereas they have the constitutional right to protest, law-abiding citizens also have the right to go about their normal daily business activities without any form of hindrance or intimidation.

“This is a 20million population,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu who appealed to the protesters to allow the public officers have access to their offices to enable them render services to the people, also stressed the need for the protesters to suspend the protest to give room for resolution of the crisis.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

He said, “This is important to avoid hoodlums hijacking the protest to carry out their evil plans.”

Having inaugurated the panel, he assured of the state government’s commitment to the complete overhaul of the Nigeria Police, especially the Lagos State Police Command.

“Lagos state will never tolerate the violation of the citizens fundamental human rights,” he said.

Protesters in Lagos on Monday

He appealed to those who have been brutalised by officers of the dissolved SARS to present their cases before the panel for justice and compensation.

The Chairman of the Panel inaugurated is Justice Doris Okuwobi (rtd).

Other members are: Mr. Ebun Adegboruwa, SAN, representing Civil Society; Mr. Taiwo Lakanu, a retired Deputy Inspector General of Police; Ms. Patience Udoh, representing Civil Society; Mr. Segun Awosanya, Human Rights Activist; Mrs Olutoyin Odusanya, Director, Lagos Citizens Mediation Centre; two representatives of the protesting youth and a representative of the National Human Rights Commission.

The Panel will sit for six months with the following terms of reference: to receive and investigate complaints of police brutality or related extra judicial killings in Lagos State and ensure that victims and their families are able to publicly air their grievances; evaluate evidence and draw conclusions on the validity of the complaints; determine and recommend compensation and other remedial measures where appropriate, and issue cheques in favour of victims or their dependents; determine the officers responsible for the abuse of victims and recommend their prosecution.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

Also the panel is expected to make recommendations to the Lagos State Government on what must be done to ensure that the Police and all security agencies no longer abuse the rights of citizens.

Police fire teargas at #EndSars protesters in Abuja

In Abuja, the nation’s capital, the #EndSars protesters were tear gassed by police officers.

Soldiers blocks entrance to the venue of a planned #EndSars protest in Abuja on Monday

The protesters who earlier on Monday morning were dislodged from the the CBN headquarters by suspected tugs, were intercepted by the security agents at the John Kennedy Street as they attempt to march through the back gate of the Presidential villa.

In an attempt to disperse the protesters who were also gathered at Power House in Asokoro, the police officers fired tear gas.

Soldiers had earlier mounted checkpoints along the Mararaba/Nyanya road linking Nasarawa State to the nation’s capital, Abuja.

Some passengers were forced to walk as some commercial vehicles stayed off the roads for fear of being stuck in traffic while the popular aya roundabout is occupied by officers of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corp (NSCDC).

Curfew in Edo

In Benin, the Edo state capital, the state governor, Godwin Obaseki imposed a 24 hour curfew following a breach at the Oko prison facility where suspected hoodlums attacked the facility and freed all inmates.

Two people were reported killed during the attack.

The hoodlums also burnt down three police stations in the state capital.

Leave a Reply