Senate to investigate imprisonment a government official, 5 other Nigerians in UAE for funding Boko Haram

By our reporter| The Senate will open an investigation into the conviction of six Nigerians, including a government official in the UAE for wiring $782,000 to Boko Haram.

The chairman of the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights and Legal Matters,Senator Opeyemi Bamidele who made the disclosure while reacting to news of the conviction, noted that the committee was unaware of the recent arrest and imprisonment of the six persons.

However, the committee, he said, was ready to find out the true position of things.

According to Bamidele, the Senate was working with the relevant committees of the House of Representatives on the amount earmarked for the prosecution of Boko Haram suspects.

An Abu Dhabi Federal Court of Appeal in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) had earlier on Monday convicted six Nigerians over alleged funding of Boko Haram.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

The conviction was upheld by the appellate court after they lost an earlier appeal at a lower court.

According to Daily Trust report, Surajo Abubakar Muhammad and Saleh Yusuf Adamu were sentenced to life imprisonment.

The rest, Ibrahim Ali Alhassan, AbdurRahman Ado Musa, Bashir Ali Yusuf and Muhammad Ibrahim Isa, got ten-year imprisonment each.

Court documents show that between 2015 and 2016, the convicts were allegedly involved in cash transfers totalling $782,000.00 to Boko Haram.

The act was contrary to Article 29, Clause 3 of UAE’s Federal Anti-Terrorism Law No 7 of 2017.

National Security Bureau said investigation of the Nigerians “confirmed their involvement and membership of the Boko Haram”.

They were arrested between April 16 and 17, 2017, and their homes searched according to the search warrant issued by the National Security Prosecution office dated April 16, 2017.

See also  Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, deputy

Abubakar and Adamu were charged for joining Boko Haram knowingly.

This negates Article 22/2 of UAE’s Federal Anti-Terrorism Law No 7 of 2017 punishable by death or life imprisonment.

Alhassan, Musa, Yusuf and Isa were charged with assisting the sect knowingly.

The crime, under Article 31, Clause 1 of the same law, is punishable by life imprisonment or at least five years in jail.

Most of the transactions were facilitated by two undercover Boko Haram agents based in Nigeria. One of them is “Alhaji Sa’idu”.

The other “Alhaji Ashiru” was described as “a Nigerian government official”.

He also reportedly funnelled misappropriated public funds to terrorists.

Sa’idu’s modus operandi is using unidentified Arab persons on a visit to Dubai from Turkey to hand over US Dollars to one of the convicts, who then remit Naira equivalent to the agent.

Leave a Reply