Why we killed 78 rice farmers in Borno – Abubakar Shekau

By our reporter| Abubakar Shekau, the factional leader of the Boko Haram insurgents on Tuesday confirmed that his group was responsible for Saturday’s killing of rice farmers in Kwashebe Zabarmari axis of Jere Local government Area of Borno State.

In a three-minute video released by the insurgents, the group said they killed 78 farmers because “the farmers arrested and handed one of its brothers to the Nigerian Army.”

The group warned those arresting their members and giving out intelligence on their activities to the military will face the same fate as the murdered rice farmers if they do not desist from such acts.

Shekau said, “The third message is on those who notoriously nab our brethren and hand them to the military or give them a clue on us, you should know that, unless you repent, what happened to your people is awaiting you.”

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

The 78 farmers figure quoted by the insurgents has added conflicting reports over the number of casualties during the attack.

Governor Zulum of Bornu state had during the burial of the farmers on Sunday morning said 43 persons were killed by the insurgents.

The UN humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon in a statement later on Sunday claimed that more than 110 people were killed in the attack, but later recanted on the figure on Monday.

The Nigerian Military also insisted that only 43 died from the attack.

AFP first reported the killing of the victims who were rice farmers in Koshebe area of Zabarmari village, by the insurgents.

One of the local hunters, who participated in a search and rescue operation, said most of the farmers found dead in the rice field had their throats slit.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“We have recovered 43 corpses. The attackers slaughtered all of them,” he said.

“As we speak, there is great disquiet and mourning in our communities,” the hunter said.

The Chairman Rice Farmers Association in Zabarmari, Malam Hassan, who corroborated the sad incident, expressed dismay over the senseless and vicious killing of innocent farmers, including children.

“It is very sad, for us, that these people went to their farms to work, only to be attacked and killed in this manner. So far, we have recovered 43 corpses, including children,” he told reporters.

Leave a Reply