FG insists schools will resume January 18

By our reporter| The Federal Government on Thursday confirmed that the schools across the country will reopen for classes on January 18 despite fears over the surge in COVID-19 cases.

In a statement, the ministry of education, however, explained that all schools and parents must ensure strict compliance with COVID-19 protocols such as wearing face masks, social distancing among others.

The statement read, “After extensive consultations with relevant stakeholders, including State Governors, Commissioners of Education, Proprietors and heads of institutions, staff unions and students, the consensus of opinion is that the resumption date of 18th January should remain.”

“These measures which are to ensure safe reopening of schools for academic activities will be subject to constant review as we urge teachers, school administrators, and other stakeholders to ensure strict compliance,” the statement added.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

Education minister, Adamu, who also confirmed the development said his ministry resolved to retain the January 18 resumption date, despite initial doubts.

Adamu said, “You will recall that at the Monday briefing of the PTF, I mentioned that the task force directed our ministry to review the January 18 planned resumption date and come back with a decision on whether to retain it or further extend the school closure.

“Based on that directive, senior officials in the ministry met on the matter. We took a decision on the matter.

“Apart from that, we decided to also consult with other stakeholders, like state commissioners for education. We have also done that.

“The outcome of our consultation is that majority of the stakeholders want the January 18 resumption date to remain.

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

“So, it is now our collective decision that the resumption should remain January 18. We intend to make the formal announcement either today (Thursday) or tomorrow (Friday).”

Earlier in the week, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 had hinted that it would review the resumption date (January 18, 2020) for learning institutions in the country, citing the rising COVID-19 infections in Africa’s most populous nation.

ASUU President, Prof Biodun Ogunyemi, had also objected to the reopening of schools amid the pandemic and asked government to provide the ideal environment and meet the conditions spelt out by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control before reopening schools across the country.

Leave a Reply