Yusuf Bello| Zamfara state governor, Bello Matawalle on Tuesday rejected the decision of the federal government to declare ‘a no-fly zone’ in Zamfara in a bid to curb the rising state of lawlessness in the state.
Matawalle who was reacting to the move by the National Security Council after a meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari, said he is not sure the federal government understands the situation in Zamfara.
The embattled Zamfara State Governor stated this when Kayode Fayemi, chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF), accompanied by Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi visited him at Government House, Zamfara.
Matawalle said, “It seems the security council doesn’t understand where the nature of the security problems in Zamfara state but if they decided to take such action let them go ahead.
“I’m not afraid of any body and the problem of insecurity in the state predated my administration.
“Nigerians are waiting to see the outcome of the security council resolution to see if these bandits would be crushed. If the federal government fails to crush them after this resolution, then Nigerians will understand that they only sat and serve themselves tea, nothing more.”
The Governor further stated that he had commenced investigation to unravel the identity of those behind the abduction of students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jengebe, Zamfara.
In his response, the NGF chairman called on the federal and state authorities to work hard to put an end to the spate of kidnapping in the country.
Alabingo.com reported that earlier on Tuesday, the National Security Adviser, Major-General Babagana Monguno (rtd), following a National Security Council meeting declared ‘a no-fly zone’ in Zamfara and banned mining activities in the state.
According to the NSA, the actions were taken as a result of the high level of insecurity in the state.


Leave a Reply