By our reporter| The Nigerian Army on Thursday said most of its officials who were ‘missing’ from the battlefield and subsequently declared wanted have returned to their various units.
Alabingo.com earlier on Thursday reported that a total of 12 officers and 89 soldiers were declared wanted for ‘deserting’ the warfront in Borno State and the that their bank accounts were also frozen by army authorities.
But the statement by army spokesperson, Mohammed Yerima, a brigadier general, later on Thursday, said “most of the affected persons” are now back to base.
It also said an ‘internal administrative error’ may have been exploited by ‘subversive elements’ to spread ‘falsehood’.
The statement read in part, “For the records, in the fog of war, it is a routine that head count is conducted to determine the number of men and equipment holding aftermath of military offensive.”
“Unfortunately, an internal correspondence that was originated by the formation was not properly done. It was later discovered that a good number of those affected rejoined their respective units and are currently part of the ongoing clearance operations.”
The full statement by the army spokesman is published below…
TROOPS DESERTION STORY NOT TRUE
The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a publication in a section of the media alleging that over a 100 Nigerian troops were reported to have absconded after Boko Haram attacks on Marte and Dikwa. This publication is false, unfounded and an attempt to malign the image and character of the Nigerian Army.
For the records, in the fog of war, it is a routine that head count is conducted to determine the number of men and equipment holding aftermath of military offensive. Unfortunately, an internal correspondence that was originated by the formation was not properly done. It was later discovered that a good number of those affected rejoined their respective units and are currently part of the ongoing clearance operations.
Members of the general public are please advised to disregard the story as the subversive intent of the promoters are targeted at dampening the morale and fighting efficiency of our troops. We continually solicit especially the much needed public support in the fight against Boko Haram.
The Nigerian Army wishes to reassure the general public that troops are in high spirit and currently clearing areas infiltrated by Boko Haram terrorists/ISWAP. It is on record that the troops fought to defend the Internally Displaced Persons Camp and United Nations Humanitarian Hub in Dikwa. It is pertinent to also note that normalcy has returned to Dikwa and its environs.
MOHAMMED YERIMA
Brigadier General
Director Army Public Relations
4 March 2021.


Leave a Reply