Lagos investigating two cases of suspected blood clot from vaccine jab, says state out of second COVID-19 wave

By our reporter| The Lagos State Government on Thursday said it is investigating two cases of suspected blood clot following vaccination with AstraZenca vaccine in the state.

Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi who made the disclosure in a statement while giving an update on COVID-19 vaccination in the state, also noted that the government had learnt several lessons during this vaccination drive, and that the challenges encountered would be addressed before the commencement of the administration of the second doses vaccination drive.

According to Abayomi, so far, following the administration of the first dose of the vaccine to 257,756 persons, just a few of the persons vaccinated experienced what is termed adverse events following immunisation (AEFI) or adverse event of special interest (AESI) characterised by pain at the injection site, fever or body pains lasting 24 to 48 hours and anaphylactic shock.

He said, “We are being extremely diligent for blood coagulation disorders in view of the prevailing international scientific attention to the possibility of increased risk of developing blood clotting disorders and two cases are being investigated.

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

“It is important in the interest of scientific knowledge to be able to attribute any blood clotting problems directly to the administration of the vaccine.

“The Lagos State Government has robust surveillance systems to effectively monitor and track untoward events and I would like to urge anyone who experiences any adverse events to call the number of the LGA Disease Surveillance Notification written in front of the vaccination card so that such cases can be thoroughly investigated and monitored.”

“We sincerely apologize to citizens that may have experienced any inconveniences during the first doses administration exercises and we pledge to try to manage the mammoth logistics more effectively moving forward.

“It is important to reiterate that residents, including vaccinated persons, must continue to adhere to the measures proposed to curb the spread of the virus, i.e. wearing of face masks in public, social distancing, avoidance of crowded areas, frequent washing of hands and practice of good respiratory hygiene.

See also  PENGASSAN faults executive order on oil revenue, says Tinubu ill-advised

“Lagos State is fully aware of the evolution and global circulation of COVID-19 virus mutant and variant strains that appear to be acquiring the ability to cause multiple waves characterized by more serious clinical outcomes in countries like India, Brazil, and certain parts of Europe,” he stated.

According to him, Lagos, the consistent epicenter of Nigeria, had come out of the second wave successfully, but noted that the government is not relaxing on its oars and is preparing assiduously for all eventualities, even as the state governor is committed to achieving herd immunity for its population through the vaccination exercise.

Abayomi said Lagos State would work with the NPHCDA and other potential stakeholders to ensure a successful COVID vaccination campaign that would ensure the state is able to withstand or mitigate a 3rd wave.

Leave a Reply