A commander of one of the Nigerian army’s battalions fighting insurgency in the north-east may have been killed, military sources told an online publication on Sunday.
The commander, a lieutenant-colonel, was believed killed by suspected Boko Haram insurgents who attacked a military base in Mainok, Borno state, on Sunday.
Thirteen soldiers were also said to have been killed in the attack.
Alabingo.com earlier on Sunday that the insurgent stormed into the town in about 15-20 vehicles burning and looting shops.
But sources who spoke with publication said the Nigerian troops stationed in the town were overpowered by the insurgents who came with “heavy weapons”.
“They had four MRAPs [armoured military vehicles], four gun trucks, and other heavy machines,” one of the sources said.
“As I speak, the commanding officer has been hit, and some other soldiers.
“There was air support, but sadly, the air force missed its coordinates and couldn’t eliminate the insurgents.”
Another source also said, “the troops have been dislodged from the camp as the insurgents are taking over.”
The insurgents also razed down a police station and looted weapons at the military base.
A military source said the insurgents operated for about two hours before fleeing the scene of the attack.
Earlier on Sunday Boko Haram insurgents attacked Mainok, the headquarters of the Kaga Local Government Area of Borno.
Located along the Maiduguri – Damaturu Highway, Mainok is 55 kilometres away from Maiduguri, the state capital.
According to an eyewitness account, the insurgents who entered the town in a convoy of between 15 and 20 vehicles on Sunday afternoon, set houses ablaze and broke into shops.
The army and police authorities are yet to confirm the attack as at the time of filing this report.
It will be recalled that the insurgents in May last year launched an attack on troops in the town but were repelled.


Leave a Reply