Hoodlums attack INEC Enugu office, six vehicles razed

By our reporter| Hoodlums on Sunday night attacked the Enugu State office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

INEC Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye who disclosed the attack in a statement on Monday said the Resident Electoral Commissioner in the state, reported that Six vehicles have were razed and with two others damaged during the attack late on Sunday night.

“Some unidentified persons overpowered the security personnel on duty around 9.00 pm and tried to set the entire building ablaze. The attention of the security agencies, as well as the Federal and State Fire Services in Enugu, was drawn to the unfolding situation and they responded swiftly,” he said.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

“The attackers set the foyer ablaze, vandalised some offices in the main building, and caused extensive damage to some of the Commission’s movable assets within the premises.

“Six utility pick up vehicles (Toyota Hilux) were burnt down while two more were smashed and damaged. The security agencies who were at the scene have commenced an investigation.”

INEC offices in the southeast and south-south have in recent times witnessed series of attacks by unknown persons with the most recent happening a few days ago.

INEC’s office in Enugu was on Thursday involved in a fire incident. The remote cause of the fire is yet unclear.

Also last week, the Commission’s office in Ohafia Local Government Area of Abia State was set ablaze by hoodlums.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

A week after the incident in Ohafia, the Commission’s Headquarters in Essien Udim Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State was also razed by unknown persons.

INEC has promised to hold an emergency meeting with all Resident Electoral Commissioners across the states over attacks on its offices.

Leave a Reply