Facebook suspends Trump accounts for two years

Facebook Inc has suspended former US President Donald Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts for two years.

He was barred indefinitely from both sites in January in the wake of posts he made on the US Capitol riots, but last month Facebook’s Oversight Board criticised the open-ended penalty.

Facebook said Mr. Trump’s actions were “a severe violation of our rules”.

The social media giant is also ending a policy shielding politicians from some content moderation rules.

It said it would no longer give politicians immunity for deceptive or abusive content based on their comments being newsworthy.

Mr. Trump’s ban was effective from the date of the initial suspension on 7 January, Facebook said.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

“Given the gravity of the circumstances that led to Mr. Trump’s suspension, we believe his actions constituted a severe violation of our rules which merit the highest penalty available,” it added.

With BBC report

Leave a Reply