INEC Nomination: Why I am being attacked, says Lauretta Onochie

By our reporter| The Special Assistant to the President on Social Media, and INEC commissioner nominee, Lauretta Onochie, on Thursday said she has come attack because she always follows due process.

Onochie, who stated this in her opening remarks during her screening by the Senate Committee on INEC, noted that she is not partisan but follows due process in all she does.

“I’ve no partisanship in my blood. I have seen many petitions against my nomination not only from the PDP, but also from some APC members, she said.

“I’m not partisan. They know. It is about the law. No one has any reason to fear for my nomination as INEC commissioner representing Delta. As far as I’m concerned, I’m madam due process. That’s why all the attacks. I follow due process, I follow the law.”

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

President Muhammadu Buhari had, on October 12, nominated Onochie (Delta), Professor Muhammad Sani Kallah (Katsina), Professor Kunle Cornelius Ajayi (Ekiti), Saidu Babura Ahmad (Jigawa), Prof. Sani Muhammad Adam (north central), and Dr. Baba Bila (north east) as national commissioners of INEC.

Onochie’s nomination had, however, been hotly contested by the opposition Peoples Democratic Party(PDP), and civil society groups, who argued that she was “too partisan” to be a commissioner in INEC.

PDP leaders last week staged a peaceful protest at the National Assembly to demand the rejection of Onochie.

Leave a Reply