Governor Zulum confirms rescue of another Chibok girl

By our reporter/ Bornu state governor, Babagana Zulum on Saturday confirmed that another Chibok girl, Ruth Nglari Apagu, had been rescued after seven years in captivity .

According to Zulum, the rescued girl was married to a Boko Haram fighter and returned with two kids she delivered while in captivity.

The Chibok girl and her husband had surrendered to Nigerian troops on July 28 at a location in Bama, Borno state.

Following their surrender, security and government officials initiated contact with her parents to confirm her identity.

The governor said the return of Ruth should rekindle the hope of parents and other family members of Chibok girls still in captivity.

He said Ruth will undergo a rehabilitation and reintegration programme that will focus on her health, psychosocial wellbeing, and her future goals.

See also  ICPC confirm El-Rufai is in their custody

Zulum commiserated with families of those still in captivity and urged them to remain optimistic and prayerful.

In April, seven years after the abduction, Zulum pledged to safely recover the remaining girls.

“As a father of all sons and daughters of Borno, I haven’t lost hope that our remaining Chibok schoolgirls and other abducted persons will be safely recovered,” the Governor said.

About 276 students of Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State, were kidnapped on April 14, 2014 by Boko Haram terrorists.

The abduction caused a stir worldwide, leading to calls for the return of the girls by global figures, including then First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama.

Although a good number of the students have regained their freedom, about 100 are still believed to be in captivity.

Leave a Reply