It’s too early for Buhari to support any candidate for 2023 presidency-Adesina

By our reporter/ It is too early for President Muhammadu Buhari to support any aspirant for the presidency in the 2023 general election, presidential spokesman, Femi Adesina said on Friday.

Adesina stated this during an interview with Channels Television while responding to a question on Buhari’s Thursday visit to Bola Tinubu in London and if it featured talks on the 2023 elections.

According to him, the meeting between Buhari and Tinubu on Thursday was a “goodwill visit”, stating that it will be unlike Buhari to jump the gun on supporting presidential aspirants for the 2023 election.

Adesina said, “That meeting actually happened, but it is all about goodwill and best wishes. We know that asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu had been in London about the same time the president was there.”

See also  Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, deputy

“Like you said, we don’t believe what we read in social media but we have read a lot about asiwaju Tinubu’s health, so the president’s visit was a goodwill visit.

“The president still has two years less three months in his tenure of office. So, for him to start supporting somebody now will just be like jumping the gun and you know that President Buhari will never do that.

“Before the 2019 election, people began to campaign for him before INEC blew the whistle for campaign to start. He was the one who came out to say ‘no, don’t do it; don’t jump the gun’.

“The president himself will dare not jump the gun in terms of supporting one candidate or the other. Also, recall that he had said anybody that wants to be president after him should go out and work. That means the president may not be supporting anybody until maybe perhaps a candidate of the party emerges. Knowing President Buhari, he will never jump the gun.”

Leave a Reply