By our reporter/ The headmaster of Salihu Tanko Islamiyya school, Tegina in Rafi LGA of Niger state, Abubakar Alhassan, on Friday disclosed that the late TB Joshua, founder of the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN, contributed to the rescue of the abducted pupils.
Alhassan who made the disclosure while speaking with newsmen after the pupils, who were abducted on May 30, regained their freedom, said the state government, Muslim and Christian clerics, and other well-meaning Nigerians contributed towards securing the freedom of the children.
“The government contributed; individuals have contributed; the imams, pastors have also contributed. Even I received a call from TB Joshua, he is a Christian, but he contributed,” Alhassan said.
According to Alhassan, 93 pupils were abducted, contrary to initial report that the abductees were over 100, adding that two other children, who were neighbours of the school, were also kidnapped, bringing the total to 95.
The headmaster further added that he and the parents are happy over the return of the pupils, noting that they plan to continue with academic activities when the students are settled.
Abubakar Bello, governor of Niger, earlier on Friday while speaking to reporters revealed that one of the pupils abducted from Salihu Tanko School in Tegina, died in captivity.
“Late last night, moving into the early hours of this morning, we received the abducted Tegina Islamiyya school children that were kidnapped,” he said.
“You may recall that gunmen invaded Tegina town and abducted young boys and girls between the ages of three and 12. Since then, we have been on their trail, deploying every necessary means within our efforts to secure their release. I am happy to announce that finally, we have received them.
“They arrived Minna in the early hours of this morning and since then, the medical officials have been attending to them to ensure their health status. In total, 91 children were kidnapped, and we have received 90. Unfortunately, we lost one of them. May his soul rest in peace.
“Alongside the 91 children, there were two other abducted people who have been released as well.”
The governor, who condemned the attackers for targeting children, however, commended security agencies, Rafi LG executives, the headmaster, among other stakeholders, who worked towards ensuring the release of the children.
“This goes to show the sickness and madness in the heads of some people. Otherwise, I cannot explain or imagine why you will abduct an innocent three-year-old, and keep him or her for over 80 days,” Bello said.
“But without wasting time, I have just been informed by our medical team that all the children have been checked and all of them appear to be okay, but four of them. We will be releasing them to their parents and I’m sure their parents are eager to have their loved ones back home.
“This has affected the morale, confidence in people and has made parents think twice before they send their children to school. However, I can assure you that we will do whatever it takes to bring them to justice. We have put all necessary measures in place to hunt down and prosecute those involved in this heinous act.”


Leave a Reply