By our reporter/ Nigeria’s inspector-general of police (IGP), Usman Baba on Thursday said , there are no plans to bring back the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) unit.
The police unit was disbanded earlier this year following a nationwide protests under the #EndSars movement.
After the disbandment of SARS, the special weapons and tactical unit (SWAT) was created.
There were reports earlier on Thursday that the dreaded anti robbery squad had been revived.
But in a statement on Thursday, Frank Mba, force spokesperson, dismissed the reports.
According to the statement, the IGP said there are no plans by the Nigeria Police Force to bring back the unit “under any guise”.
“The attention of the Nigeria Police Force has been drawn to a false news report making the rounds online and offline suggesting that the Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, psc (+), NPM, fdc has ordered the re-establishment of the defunct Special Anti – Robbery Squad (SARS),” the statement reads.
“The Force wishes to categorially emphasise that there is no plan whatsoever to bring back the disbanded SARS. SARS is gone for good and will not resurrect under any guise whatsoever.
“The IGP notes that the Force has since reorganised its operational structure to fill the vacuum created by the disbandment of SARS.
“Currently, the leadership of the Force is focused on efforts at deepening reforms within the Police and bequeathing Nigerans a Police Force that will be more effective, efficient, technology-driven, humane and Rule of Law-compliant.
“The IGP therefore calls on members of the public to disregard the report which is absolutely false and deliberately intended to disinform and misinform members of the public.”


Leave a Reply