Bandits who abducted UNIABUJA staff demand N300m ransom

By our reporter/ The bandits who abducted six persons that were kidnapped from the University of Abuja (UNIABUJA) staff quarters have contacted their families to demand ransom of N300m.

Obansa Joseph, a professor of economics, two of his children, and three other persons were abducted by the bandits who attacked the community on Tuesday.

According to sources close to the families, the gunmen are demanding N50 million for each person that was abducted.

Habib Yakoob, UNIABUJA spokesman, who confirmed the development on Wednesday, said he is not aware if a deadline was given for payment by the bandits.

“They are asking for N300 million collectively. I’m not aware if they were given a deadline to pay or not,” he said.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

Mustapha Sambo, son of one of the abducted persons, had earlier on Wednesday told reporters that the abductors told his family to provide N100 million ransom after they took his father away.

“They took our phones and his wallet. Then they said they need money. When we said there was no money at home, they took him and said we must bring N100 million before they release him,” he said.

According to eyewitness accounts, the gunmen numbered about 30 and were young men “not older than 25”, shot sporadically in the air while they carried out the attack which lasted for over two hours.

Leave a Reply