Atiku’s third wife opens up on threats to her life for seeking divorce

By our reporter/ The third wife of Atiku Abubakar, Jennifer Douglas Abubakar has opened up on controversies that have trailed her ongoing effort to divorce the former vice-president.

In a statement to The Trent, an online publication, Jennifer dismissed online reports that she is divorcing the Adamawa-born politician over his decision to take another wife, describing them as a campaign of calumny to totally discredit and put her in bad light.

According to her, she had asked Atiku for a divorce on June 26, 2021, in light of the breakdown of their marriage.

She further stated that contrary to rumours, the marriage fell apart following a disagreement over her continued stay in the United Kingdom to look after their children.

According to Jennifer, the marriage to a new wife could not have been the issue as she was already abreast with the development even though he was kept in the dark.

She said, “The core reason for the divorce was disagreement over my continued stay in the United Kingdom, to look after my children and several other long-standing issues.”

“I needed to play the role of a mother at this time to the children who have gone through the absence of both father and mother growing up; especially, with the passage of my elder sister who used to look after them.

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

“Furthermore, in light of COVID times, choosing to stay with the children was nonnegotiable. And, in line with Northern culture, the new wife takes up the baton so I can also focus on giving the kids more care.

“Despite not informing us officially according to northern/Islamic culture, I knew about his Excellency’s new wife from the time Excellency was dating her and when his Excellency eventually married her.

“I have graciously invited our new wife to my son’s wedding in Dubai in 2018 without any ill feelings and congratulated his Excellency when our new wife put to bed.

“I was already aware that His Excellency had gotten married to our new wife but that did not deter me from supporting His Excellency and indeed, we went through a most rigorous electioneering campaign and garnered massive support for his election in 2019.

“That His Excellency married a new wife was never the cause of our problem as many have said. His Excellency is a Muslim and I have never questioned him about his wives or intended.”

Jennifer also dismissed claims she attempted to take over properties belonging to Atiku in Nigeria and Dubai.

According to her, following the request for divorce, Atiku asked her to return the house and other properties he earlier gifted her.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

Jennifer, who said she decided to give her own account of the issue to address the various speculations trailing her efforts to get a divorce, claimed that she had been receiving death threats and intimidation from Atiku’s security operatives.

She continued, “Since this incident, I fear for my safety and that of my kids. His Excellency’s security operatives especially Ibro and others, have been making threats and calling my relatives, friends and staff and searching for my assets to seize.”

“For that reason, I have exited my law firm, sold all my assets, and moved abroad until peace reigns. I have done nothing wrong except to ask for a divorce and it pains me that I have to use this medium to address thorny issues but fear that at this point, I would have to put my side of the story on record.

“It is obvious that a campaign of calumny to total discredit and put me in bad light has begun. Despite all that has happened, I reiterate that I asked for a quiet divorce which if it had been granted, we would not be where we are today.”

 

Leave a Reply