Buhari mourns as death toll rises to 10 in Ebute-Meta building collapse

By our reporter| The death toll in the collapsed Ebute-Meta building in Lagos on Sunday evening has risen to 10.

Alabingo.com reported earlier that the collapsed building is located at Ibadan street, Ebutte Meta, Lagos state.

The Director of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Adeseye Margaret, who confirmed the rise in the number of deaths in an update on Monday, also revealed that 24 persons have also been rescued alive with varying degrees of injury.

All 24 are “in stable condition, including two who are responding to treatment,” the statement said.

Out of the 10 deaths reported, six are males and four females.

“All the first and major responders are still collaborating to mop up the incident scene,” the statement said.

See also  Court sentences Living Faith Pastor to death in Uyo

Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday condoled with the victims and saluted the courage and determination of the first responders.

Buhari, who regretted the frequency of building collapses in the country, urged relevant authorities to do more to halt further reoccurrences.

“President Buhari wishes those injured a speedy recovery and prays for divine assistance in the ongoing search and rescue operations,” the president was quoted to have said in the statement by presidential spokesperson Femi Adesina.

Leave a Reply