Father Kukah: My Sokoto residence not burnt

By our reporter| Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Father Matthew Kukah on Saturday described as false, the reports that his Sokoto home was burnt down by an angry mob.

There has been tension in the state following Friday’s killing of Deborah Samuel, a 200-level student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, over alleged blasphemy.

The arrest of two persons in connection with her killing led to protests on Saturday in the metropolis as protesters demanded their immediate release.

Many social media posts said Christians had been attacked while churches had been burnt down.

There were also rumours that Kukah’s residence was burnt down by protesters.

But in a brief chat with an Online publication, the cleric denied that his house was burnt down.

See also  US Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

“No, they did not burn my residence,” Kukah told the publication.

Governor Aminu Tambuwal, who earlier met with both Christian and Muslim religious leaders in the state to them to douse tension, on Saturday declared a 24-hour curfew in the metropolis.

According to the governor, the move was to avoid a breakdown of law and order.

Leave a Reply