NNPP dismisses report on Kwankwaso becoming Obi’s running mate

By our reporter| The New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) on Sunday denied reports that its presidential candidate Rabiu Kwankwaso, has accepted to be the running mate to Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP).

There were reports earlier in the day on social media, credited to Agbo Major, NNPP publicity secretary suggesting that Kwankwaso had stepped down for the labour party candidate.

But clarifying his comments in a statement on Sunday, Major had said claims that his comment meant Kwankwaso had agreed to be running mate to Obi were “misleading and embarrassing”.

“NNPP has never at any time said its esteemed Presidential Candidate, His Excellency, Engr. Dr. Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, could accept to be Labour Party, Peter Obi’s deputy,” the statement reads.

See also  Court sentences Living Faith Pastor to death in Uyo

“The report is misleading and embarrassing to our great party, its Presidential Candidate, Kwankwaso and millions of supporters in Nigeria and in the diaspora, and urges journalists to crosscheck their reports before publishing them to avoid national disaffection ahead of the crucial 2023 general election.

“As a mass movement, NNPP acknowledged alliance talks with Labour Party that would consolidate and boost the nation’s frail democracy as we collectively strive for a new Nigeria which the party champions.”

Kwankwaso had in an interview with BBC Hausa confirmed that he is in talk with Peter Obi about a possible merger between NNPP and the Labour Party.

The NNPP on Saturday confirmed the claim made by its presidential candidate in a Tweet on Saturday.

See also  ‘Death warrant on credible elections’ - ADC slams Tinubu for signing electoral amendment bill

 

Leave a Reply