Residents panic as explosion, gunshots heard around Kuje prison

By our reporter| Residents living around the Kuje correction centre in the federal capital territory (FCT) panicked on Tuesday night as gunshots and explosions rocked the area.

There are unconfirmed reports that gunmen are attacking the prison.

The sounds of the gunshots were first heard around 10pm.

A resident of the area, who spoke with a national publication, said some men were seen running through the school within the neighbourhood of the prison.

“There has been serious shooting from the prison area for over 30 minutes. A number of unknown men were seen running through the Government Secondary School premises from only God knows where,” the resident, who didn’t want to be named, told the publication.

See also  Police confirm Lakurawa bandits killed 33 in Kebbi attack

“We don’t know who they are. There was a sound like collapsing zinc and before we knew it, some men were seen running through the back, down to the empty school land.”

The development was also reported on media, with Twitter users who commented on the incident, advising residents of an estate close to the prison to stay indoors.

Efforts to reach prison authorities did not yield results as the Nigerian Correctional Service, spokesperson, Umar Abubakar, could not be reached.

Also attempts to reach Josephine Adeh, the FCT police spokesperson, were not successful.

The development comes shortly after an attack on the security team attached to President Muhammadu Buhari.

The attack on the security team, which occurred in Katsina earlier on Tuesday, left two persons injured.

See also  Gunmen abduct, kill traditional ruler in Ondo

 

Leave a Reply