FG: Abuja-Kaduna train won’t operate till all abducted victims are freed

By our reporter| The Abuja-Kaduna rail line will not resume until all those kidnapped by bandits in March are rescued and reunited with their families, the federal government said on Wednesday.

Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo who made the disclosure while on an inspection visit to the Idu and Kubwa train stations in Abuja,
said the federal government is deploying advanced technologies to rail services across the country to forestall similar security breaches.

An Abuja-Kaduna train was attacked on March 28, leading to deaths and the abductions of more than 60 passengers.

On Tuesday, five of the abducted passengers regained their freedom, bringing the total number of released victims to 37.

However, about 35 passengers remain in the captivity of the bandits.

Many of those released appear to have regained their freedom in exchange for ransoms to the bandits, security experts believe.

See also  US mission celebrates Nigerian American Dr Wendy Okolo @NASA

The federal government has ruled out any form of negotiation with terrorists.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) had earlier suspended train services on the Lagos, Abuja, and Ajaokuta routes over safety concerns.

The Managing Director of the NRC Fidet Okhiria confirmed the development earlier on Wednesday, said the move followed a report of an attempted kidnapping of passengers that left the Ajaokuta Station by road on their way to Abuja.

According to him, the passengers and their vehicles were shot at in the process but he said they escaped from the attackers.

Okhiria explained that the passengers have been advised to use any of the adjacent stations in Itakpe (north) or Itogbo (south) until the security situation in the area improves.

See also  DMO: Nigeria’s public debt stock rose by N900bn to N153trn in Q3 2025

The NRC MD said the Warri-Itakppe train service is still on as the train left Warri this morning on its way to Itakpe.

“Similarly, in compliance with the Honourable Minister’s directive, the Abuja to Kaduna passenger train service remains suspended until all the passengers held hostage as a result of the train attack by the bandits are completely released to their relations and the additional security system is put in place to avoid reoccurrence,” the NRC said in another statement issued by the organisation.

“In addition, the Lagos to Kano Express passenger train will not resume operation following suspected bandits’ presence along the Minna to Kaduna rail corridor in the North Western district of the Corporation.”

Leave a Reply