DHQ: Two more ISWAP terrorists linked to Owo church attack arrested

By our reporter| The director of defense information on Tuesday said that two more Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists linked to the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo state, have been arrested.

On Tuesday, the Chief of Defence Staff, Lucky Irabor, announced that the gunmen behind the attack on the church have been arrested.

The Director of Defence Information, Jimmy Akpor, who made the disclosure in a statement, said two more suspected ISWAP fighters linked to the dastardly attack have been apprehended.

“Recall that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, during his parley with media executives and editors yesterday, Tuesday 9 August 2022, informed of the arrest of 4 terrorists among those who carried out the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022,” Akpor said.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

“They were arrested through a combined operation by military and DSS personnel at Eika, Okehi LGA, Kogi State on 1 August 2022.

“Those arrested include Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (a.k.a Bin Malik), Momoh Otohu Abubakar, Aliyu Yusuf Itopa, and Auwal Ishaq Onimisi.

“Barely few hours after the disclosure by the CDS of the arrest of 4 of the Owo Catholic Church attackers, 2 additional ISWAP terrorists, who were also connected to the attack on the church were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA, Ondo State yesterday, 9 August 2022.

“The arrests were made through the collaborative effort by military and DSS personnel. The suspects are Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris.

“It is instructive to note that Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP commanders, had also previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State resulting in casualties.”

See also  Gunmen abduct, kill traditional ruler in Ondo

Gunmen had on June 5 stormed the Catholic church, killing over 40 worshippers and injuring others.

The minister of interior, Rauf Aregbesola, blamed the attack on ISWAP, but the claim was countered by Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu.

Leave a Reply