Supreme Court denies reported phone conversation between Tinubu and CJN

Our reporter/ The Supreme Court of Nigeria on Wednesday denied that a conversation took place between the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Olukayode Ariwoola, and President Bola Tinubu, or anyone else, over the ongoing Presidential Election Petition on the 2023 election.

In a statement by Festus Akande, its director of press and information, the apex court said Justice Ariwoola neither spoke with Tinubu nor the Director General General of the Department of State Service (DSS) with a view to pressurizing the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal on the likely judgment to give in respect of the petitions.

“In view of the rumour currently circulating in the social media space that the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Olukayode Ariwoola had a telephone conversation with His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the Director General of the Department of State Service (DSS) with a view to pressurising the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal on the likely judgment to give, it is imperative to state clearly that there is no iota of truth in the narrative, as there was no such telephone conversation between the CJN and anyone, the statement reads.

“Nigerians have been following the proceedings at the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal with admirable enthusiasm. So, it is advisable we all sustain the tempo and follow it up to the end, instead of relapsing into the realm of speculations and rumor peddling that will not do anyone any good.

See also  NCC seeks stakeholders’ inputs on national telecoms policy review 

“If this current trend of falsehood and mudslinging is sustained, our nation may not make the desired progress.”

The statement further stated that the courts are statutorily established to serve the best interest of the masses and the apex court will do just so.

“We wish to plead with everyone to cooperate with the judiciary to serve the country to its full capacity, as no one will ever be favoured against the other in any dispute.

“The rule of law and supremacy of the Nigerian Constitution will always be upheld and applied in every matter that comes before the courts; as the facts presented and the subsisting laws must be applied in determining the merit or otherwise of each matter.

“The public should be rest assured that justice will be done to all matters pending in the various courts across the country, irrespective of who is involved”, the statement concluded.

Tinubu denies telephone conversation with CJN – APC

The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) had earlier in a statement on Tuesday night denied the allegation that President Bola Tinubu had a telephone conversation with Olukayode Ariwoola, chief justice of Nigeria (CJN), over a possible rerun of the presidential election.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

The denial followed a claim by Jackson Ude, a Twitter user, that Tinubu spoke with the CJN over the outcome of the presidential election petition and asked him to prepare for a rerun election.

But in a statement on Tuesday night, APC spokesman, Felix Morka, said “falsehoods” like Ude’s claims are capable of undermining the judiciary.

“President Tinubu and our party won the last presidential election without a doubt, and do not have any need to engage in side conversations with the CJN regarding pending petitions before the PEPC,” Morka said.

“As the core democrat that he is, the president respects the right of aggrieved candidates in the election to seek redress for any grievances that they may have. The constitution and Electoral Act provide effective guarantees of that right.

“The PEPC should be afforded the time and space to perform its important constitutional and statutory duty of adjudicating and delivering a verdict in the matter without needlessly calling the integrity of our judges into question.

“Falsehood and conjecture by the likes of Mr. Ude only aim to inflame political passions, create doubt and panic, and preemptively undermine the verdict of the courts in this important matter.”

The ruling party added that it is “confident” that Nigerians are “smart” and discerning enough to disregard unsubstantiated claims.

Leave a Reply