Obi, Atiku rejects tribunal judgment, heads to supreme court

Our reporter/ The Presidential Candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, and Atiku Abubakar, of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Thursday rejected the judgment of the Presidential Election Petitions Court on the February 25, 2023 poll, describing it as against justice.

They both made their feelings known via a press briefing in Onitsha and Abuja.

Obi, who spoke on Thursday in Onitsha, acknowledged the Tribunal’s adherence to statutory time frame and expressed respect for the court’s views and rulings but disagreed with the judgment’s rationale and final conclusions.

He announced his intention, in his capacity as a presidential candidate and on behalf of the Labour Party, to immediately challenge the judgment through the appellate process, as permitted by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Highlighting the fact that the Tribunal is not the ultimate authority in this matter, Obi emphasised that the responsibility now rests with the Supreme Court, which he expressed confidence in.

He urged Nigerians to maintain their focus, steadfastness, and commitment to peaceful processes while emphasising the importance of adhering to the rule of law.

He expressed unwavering determination in his pursuit of justice, not only for himself but also for the multitude of supporters across the nation whose electoral mandate he said was unjustly thwarted by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

See also  Nuhu Ribadu accused of unlawfully detaining woman for months over recording alleged ‘romantic video call’ with Tinubu - Report

Obi underscored the pivotal role of solid national institutions and the public’s confidence in them for a thriving democracy.

He pointed out that electoral litigations could be significantly reduced if INEC discharged its statutory functions transparently and fairly. However, when such bodies falter, as he said, INEC did in this case, the judiciary becomes an imperative recourse.

Atiku rejects verdict

Meanwhile, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Atiku Abubakar also rejected the verdict of the Presidential Election Petitions Tribunal (PEPT) that affirmed Bola Tinubu’s victory at the February 2023 poll.

The former vice president during a press briefing in Abuja said he is undeterred and has instructed his lawyers to appeal the verdict.

“Gentlemen of the press, I take great pains to tell you that the decision of the court of first instance on this matter utterly falls far short of that expectation. I am therefore here to tell you that, though the judgment of the court yesterday is respected, it is a judgment that I refuse to accept. I refuse to accept the judgment because I believe that it is bereft of substantial justice. However, the disappointment in the verdict of the court can never destroy my confidence in the judiciary,” Atikutoldreporters.

See also  Gunmen abduct, kill traditional ruler in Ondo

“Consequently, I have asked my lawyers to activate my constitutionally guaranteed rights of appeal to the higher court, which, in the instance, is the Supreme Court. It is my conviction that the electoral process in Nigeria should be devoid of untidy manipulations and that the outcome of every election should be a perfect reflection of the wishes of the electorate.

“I believe that such is the only way through which our democracy can have a manifest expression of its true meaning. Whether I prevail in this quest or not, the record of my effort in ensuring an order of credible elections in Nigeria shall remain for future generations to evaluate,” he added.

The PDP had earlier rejected the Tribunal’s verdict, saying it would consult its lawyers for the next course of action.

 

Leave a Reply