NNPC Chopper Crash: Three bodies recovered

Our reporter/ Three persons have been confirmed dead in a helicopter crash that occurred in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, on Thursday.

The accident occurred at 11:22 a.m. along the waterways in Port Harcourt when the helicopter, a Sikorsky SK76 with registration 5NBQG and operated by East Wind Aviation, took off from Port Harcourt Military Base (DNPM) to the FPSO – NUIMS ANTAN oil rig.

A total of eight persons were confirmed on board, said a spokesperson for NNPCL Olufemi Soneye in a statement.

The aircraft ditched into the waters near Bonny Finima in the Atlantic Ocean, the authorities said in a statement, adding that rescue efforts have been activated.

The full text of the statement is published below…

NNPC Ltd reports helicopter incident en-route NUIMS-ANTAN FPSO
 
On the 24th of October 2024, about 11:22am, we lost contact with the Helicopter – Register Number: 5NBQG, engaged by NNPC Limited, that took off from Port Harcourt NAF Base en route the FPSO – NUIMS ANTAN. The helicopter was operated by East Winds Aviation.
 
There were 8 persons on board (6 passengers and 2 crew members). The appropriate authorities have been contacted, including the Ministry of Aviation, who have since issued a press statement.
 
Search and rescue missions are currently ongoing. So far, three (3) bodies have been recovered.
 
We shall continue to monitor the situation and provide regular updates as the events unfold.
 
Our prayers are with the passengers, crew and their respective families at this very difficult time.
 
We will continue to do everything possible to support the ongoing search and rescue operation.

Olufemi O. Soneye

Chief Corporate Communications Officer

NNPC Ltd.

Abuja.

See also  Alleged Sexual Assault: TikToker Mirabel in ICU, investigations ongoing - Police

Leave a Reply