UPDATED: US bombs Fordo and other Iran nuke sites, says Trump

Our reporter/ US President Donald Trump announces that the US has completed a “successful” attack on the Fordo, Natanz and Isfahan nuclear sites in Iran.

“A full payload of BOMBS was dropped on the primary site, Fordo,” he writes, referring to the difficult-to-destroy underground site built on the side of a mountain.

“All planes are now outside of Iran air space [and are]… safely on their way home.,” Trump writes on Truth Social.

“Congratulations to our great American Warriors. There is not another military in the World that could have done this.

“NOW IS THE TIME FOR PEACE!” Trump adds.

Iran confirms attack

Akbar Salehi, the security deputy governor of Isfahan, has confirmed the attacks.

“Several explosions were heard in Natanz and Isfahan, we saw attacks near the nuclear sites of Isfahan and Natanz.”

All three strike sites mentioned by Trump have now been confirmed by Iranian officials.

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

Fordo – the secretive Iranian nuclear site

Situated about 60 miles (96km) south of the capital Tehran, the uranium enrichment site at Fordo is located in a mountainous region close to the city of Qom.

The underground facility is thought to consist of two main tunnels that house centrifuges used to enrich uranium, as well as a network of smaller tunnels.

Before Sunday’s strike by the US, as announced by President Trump, Israel had been appealing to Washington for intervention as the US is the only military with the capability to hit it.

Surprise US attack on Iran ends guessing game

Ever since Israel launched its attack on Iran there’s been a “will he won’t he?” guessing game on if President Trump will join in on the strikes.

See also  Nigeria's debt to World bank climbs to $18.7bn under Tinubu

It’s been hugely controversial due to the concern of a further escalation in the Middle East, and another US intervention in the region. The kind of intervention that Donald Trump has long campaigned against.

Just two days ago he said he’d make his decision within two weeks, which lowered the temperature.

But it appears now almost out of the blue “successful strikes” have been carried out according to him.

With agency reports

 

Leave a Reply