Qatar ‘strongly condemns’ Iran attack on US air base

Our reporter/ Qatar’s government has offered its “strong condemnation” of the attack on the al-Udeid Air Base.

Majed al-Ansari, official spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, wrote on X: “We consider this a flagrant violation of the sovereignty of the State of Qatar, its airspace, international law, and the United Nations charter.”

He says Qatar’s air defence systems “successfully thwarted the attack and intercepted the Iranian missiles” and the base had been evacuated earlier.

“All necessary steps were taken to ensure the safety of personnel at the base, including Qatari Armed Forces members, friendly forces, and others, he added.

“We confirm that no injuries or human casualties resulted from the attack.”

According to Ansari, Qatar reserves the right to respond “in a manner equivalent with the nature and scale of this brazen aggression”.

Regional countries condemn Iranian missiles attack

Multiple countries in the Middle East and North Africa have condemned the Iranian attack on a US base in Qatar.

See also  Owo Church Attack: Court admits confessional statements, forensic report as DSS closes case

Egypt called the attack “a violation of (Qatar’s) sovereignty, a threat to its territorial integrity, and a breach of international law and the United Nations Charter,” according to a statement from the government Monday.

The country said it “expresses its deep concern over the rapidly accelerating and dangerous escalation in the region, affirms its complete rejection of all forms of military escalation or infringement on the sovereignty of states, and calls for the necessity of de-escalation and a ceasefire to preserve regional peace and security.”

Saudi Arabia said the attack was a violation of the “principles of good neighborliness, and an entirely unacceptable act that cannot be justified under any circumstances.”

Jordan condemned what it called “aggression launched by Iran against the sisterly state of Qatar.”

Bahrain said it affirms its full support and solidarity with Qatar, “reflecting the close bonds of brotherhood and kinship between them.”

See also  Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, deputy

A spokesperson for Oman’s foreign ministry condemned the regional escalation, which they said was triggered by Israel and includes the recent Iranian attack.

The office of the Palestinian Authority President also called the attack a “a blatant violation of the sovereignty of the sisterly state of Qatar.”

Iran maintains attack was meant to target US, not Qatar

Meanwhile, Iran’s Supreme National Security Council says in a statement that while Iran “shattered” the US air base in Qatar, the attack in no way “presents any danger to Qatar or its people”, and adds Iran “remains committed to maintaining and continuing its warm and historic relations” with Qatar.

The statement by Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, quoted by Iran’s state media, says the “number of missiles used were the same number as bombs the US had used on three Iranian nuclear sites”.

With agency reports

Leave a Reply