Bello Turji ‘frees 32 hostages, surrenders arms’ in peace deal – Report

Bello Turji, a notorious terror kingpin operating in the north-west, has reportedly released 32 kidnapped victims and surrendered some of his weapons.

According to Premium Times, Musa Yusuf, an Islamic cleric popularly known as Asadus-Sunnah, announced the development during a religious event in Kaduna on Monday.

Yusuf said the gesture followed a series of peace talks held in July with Turji and other armed fighters inside Fakai forest in Shinkafi LGA of Zamfara.

He said the dialogue was initiated by residents of Shinkafi who appealed to clerics to intervene and persuade Turji to halt attacks and allow farmers access to their lands.

“We met Mr Turji, Dan Bakkolo, Black, Kanawa, and Malam Ila. The speculation that Dan Bakkolo was killed is not true,” Yusuf said.

See also  Owo Church Attack: DSS witness narrates how forensic analysis implicated suspected attackers

“These individuals are responsible for the insecurity in the area, and they all agreed to the peace proposals. We agreed that the Fulanis must be allowed to go to town without being stereotyped or killed by the vigilante.”

According to Yusuf, the terror kingpins surrendered some weapons in three stages and have allowed residents to resume farming in areas previously occupied by fighters.

He added that Turji also freed 32 kidnapped persons as part of the deal and played a video showing the rough terrain the victims crossed on their way out of captivity.

Yusuf said engagements are ongoing with Turji and his group to secure a total end to hostilities, noting that the clerics have been cautious not to demand a complete disarmament.

See also  SSS to arraign El-Rufai on Wednesday for cybercrime, national security breach

He explained that doing so could leave Turji exposed to rival factions who are not part of the peace process.

Leave a Reply